Friday, February 5, 2010

Changes in Cooper

I'm not really sure whats going on with our little man. I considered calling the Pedi to make an appointment but every time I start to think I should, he is suddenly completely normal for a day or so.
This brings me to this post. I am wondering if any of you have seen your kids go through some similar changes that our Cooper is going through and why and what you did?
I don't think he's sick, But I would hate to ignore something if he's in pain.

Here is the situation and when we started seeing some strange changes:
About a week ago Cooper was sitting with Daddy playing with a tree toy that has a monkey that swivels. You can grab the joy stick and make the monkey turn and move his arms. The toy sings and has some buttons you can push on the top of the tree. So Cooper and daddy are playing and I am putting clothes away in our room. I hear a blood curdling scream coming from the living room. Not an I'm tired scream, but almost like he was hurt bad. I ran as fast as I could yelling "whats wrong, is he OK". Horrible things of course running through my mind as I'm trying to get out there.
I turn the corner to find Julian trying to get the dogs away (apparently they were really concerned when Cooper screamed like he did). Julian was trying to console Cooper and he was saying to him in a sad voice (with almost a little laugh behind it) "buddy what? Whats wrong did that scare you". Julian proceeds to tell me that they were playing with the monkey making him move like we always do and Cooper stared at it and totally freaked out! He said he had never seen him that scared before. Cooper was trying to claw his way up Julian to get away from the toy.
Poor baby! I felt terrible. I cuddled him and we both got him calmed down. But we were both so surprised at this. Nothing like this had ever happened before. It was so unlike him. He's played with this toy before, Its not a new toy.
Since that day, Cooper has been scared by a toy "age appropriate" 3 more times. Nothing as upsetting as the first time, but still he cried and was clearly scared.
To top it all off he has been waking up scared. He never used to cry when waking up but now he seems to often. We are always so happy and smiley and fun with him. He really never cries unless he's tired, hungry or hurting. So we have never experienced this before.
Last night when I went to pick him up at Mimi's house (AKA Julian's aunt) She told me that he had been fussy throughout the day and just not himself. She said he was really tired and was pulling on his ear when he got ready to take his naps. He does tend to rub his hands on his cheeks and ears when he's really tired. He's always done this. And just in the past month he's really found his hands and is using them MUCH more. So she wasn't sure if him actually grabbing his ear and pulling on it was him "finding" his ear or him just doing the tired thing or if it is bothering him.
So last night I watched him Very closely. Ready to call the doctor this morning if he did act like he was hurting. He didn't though. He was his happy little smiley lovable little self. So I will call Mimi at 10:00 and check on him again and see if he's acting any different.

But have any of you seen your kids do anything like this. I don't know if its a early teething thing, or if its nothing, or if its totally normal at around 5 months?

Any input on the two changes in our little Cooper?

11 comments:

Erin said...

It wouldnt hurt to call the nurses and explain whats going on. My mom always says its better to be safe then sorry and you will always feel better even if it's just a stage he is going through or it's not some major issue. If you have others people input you will always feel better! Just like with my itching situation, i felt so stupid calling the Dr. complaining I itched and look where we are now!!

Maybe just put that toy away for awhile and see if another toy scares him the way that one does?

Ashley said...

One of my friend's daughter had night terrors. She would wake up TERRIFIED in the middle of the night. I didn't think babies could have them - but she did from about 2 months +. So, that could be an issue if he's waking up scared.
My daughter is 4 months & sometimes she will cry out/scream with pain and it's gas. She will finally pass it & she's fine!

I hope Cooper is ok!

Lindsay said...

It wouldn't hurt to call his doctor and just talk to the nurse. They deal with this all day, so it's okay to call. As far as pulling on his ear, could be an ear infection? Hard to tell. And the toys?? I remember Averee around 8 mos. was scared to death of her ball popper. It shoots balls out the top and it is a little loud. Took her several months to get use to it completely. But it was a new toy to her, so as far as Cooper and that toy not being new...I am not sure. He may be going through a milestone, growth and it could cause him to be a little fussy. I have read that! Feel better Coop!!

Unknown said...

bless his heart! sometimes, my youngest would scream like that if she were overstimulated.. so maybe that toy was too much?!?! i am not really sure, though. he seems a little young to be having bad dreams though, so i might would call the dr too! poor thing... i hope it gets worked out for you!

Open Roads Mama said...

1. I do get the scared loud cry reaction from BB once in a while too, he can start crying when the vaccum is on or some noice-making toys that are a little too loud... and it's not like he's always scared, sometimes he is sometimes he isn't... so I guess as long as it's not constant with too many toys or in too many situations, it's ok, I think, you're probably doing the best thing by observing Coop and his reactions for now...
2. I've seen BB pull his ear way too many times and have gone to the doc numerous times to check and make sure he doesn't have an ear infection, but he never does! It's an on and off thing with the ears too, so I bet it could be from the teeth, you're right! I hear that ear infections are so hurtful that a baby would be screaming in pain if he had one...
Good luck!

Just Believing said...

I know nothing but I know that alot of changes go on in the 4-5 and a half month I just askedmy doctor why Faith completely changed and she basically said so many changes internally moving more crawling, having more seperation anxiety everything...

That doesn't help at all but just more wanting to say you are so not alone!

Brooke said...

Aww I feel you. I am really starting to get to where I worry about every little thing. Its like your Mommy brain sounds the alarm but then you wonder if its nothing. Not that this is nothing. I say if your gut tells you more then once that you should get him checked out then do it. You have to listen to your Mama instincts.

Brooke said...

By the way I love that you have the song "Stomp" on your play list. Awesome. Takes me back to youth group!

Ms. J said...

Hi- I am a new blogger and follower! I am meant to be a mom too, but we aren't quite ready yet! It kills me! Anyways...I am a nanny and I am currently watching a 6 month old baby girl. When she was 5 months she went through a phase of SCREAMING crying, as if she was in a lot of pain. It seemed to just be a new discovery/way for her to be stubborn when not getting her way. Thank the Lord, she has kind of grown out of it. My nephew had a similar cry at the same age. I think babies are just discovering new sounds every day, but you are the mom and know him best and it never hurts to ask a nurse to be on the safe side.

The baby I watch had a similar experience last week. We were watching a baby einstein video (we have watched it a few times before) and she was all smiley and content and out of no where she starts screaming, shaking her hands and staring at me avoiding the tv. I was wondering if it was something in the video, so pressed rewind and started to see if she would freak out again...and it did. Turns out there were fake owls moving across the screen that all of a sudden were the scariest things for her now. Maybe it's just their brains developing and a different perspective of looking at things, idk...

Also don't know if this has anything to do with it, but if he is waking in the middle of the night crying, some other babies I watched would wake up and cry because of their wet uncomfortable diapers so they started using night time diapers and they slept through the night.

Hope he gets better soon and you can figure out what is going on with him. He is so adorable and has the cutest smile!!

Katie @ Modern-Day Family said...

I say have the ears checked JUST in case. Molly was really up and down with all of our ear problems. There was one time that I was sure they were cured and low and behold STILL infected. I think it would feel good just to have that ruled out since that is something that you could treat and do something about. You know what your gut says though! I say just go with that :)

Margaret said...

I know when my daughter pulls at her ear its because she's teething. She's also done the random loud cry as if she's hurt. Do you think he could be teething?

My daughter is suddenly afraid of some things too... I think as they get older they just develop stuff like that