Monday, February 15, 2010

advice please????

I need some advice. My son stays with family. He usually goes to Nana's house for 3 days a week and Aunt Tami's for 2 days a week. Well if you read my blog yesterday Nana's house is no longer a place for him to go. Papa had to have emergency surgery last week and will be recovering for months to come. Aunt Tami can't watch him every day of the week so we are sort of stuck without someone to keep him. I have tons of friends but they all work. Most of them have parents that watch there kids for them. So I have no idea what to do.
Back when I was in college I worked at a learning center near my house. Its a really really nice one. Clean and nice and the teachers love the kids. They really do. I still know some of the teachers and directors. So its not all strangers there.
Anyways, I thought about sending him to this daycare but its super expensive. I don't really trust any of the other daycare's that are nearby. So I don't know what else to do?
I did call and they said they could get him in. I'm so sad though. I wish I were able to stay home with him. But if we ever want to try for another baby we have to pay off the bills from the first. I have to work. My husband can't handle it all by himself. Without getting to far into my personal money issues. I basically have to work. You can say what you want if your a stay at home mom, I think that's great but until you are in someone else's shoes you can't understand that its not an option for some of us. I would love to be home with my baby. He is my everything.
But I also know he will be just fine at a learning center or daycare as long as we make a good choice on where to send him. I also think the social interaction would be good. But at the same time I really wanted to wait until he is 1 year old before taking him somewhere outside of family. I'm so freakishly overprotective of him.

So I was just wondering if any of you take your kids to a daycare and if so did you when they were 5-6 months old? How do you like it? How does your child like it?

Be honest. Thanks ladies.

22 comments:

Erica said...

My son went to a daycare when he was a year old, before that a lady that had a daycare in her house kept him. Anyways, I loved the daycare he went to when he was a year old. They even potty trained him! He loved it and everybody there was so friendly and personable. I felt completely comfortable taking him there. Most really really nice daycares are outrageously expensive, I'm sure you've noticed! So I say just go check out a few of the ones you can afford and get a tour and their curriculum or whatever it is that they do daily with babies Cooper's age. Get a feel for it. I think you're instinct will tell you which one to go with. Good Luck!

Paige said...

You're right no one understands until they are in this position. Have you thought about looking into a personal sitter and checking into their backgrounds? I have personally not been able to send Charli Beth to a daycare for money reasons and because the day cares around here seem to have a lot of sicknesses that go around. I just think that if a day care is TO expensive for your budget there are other ones in your area that will be just as good also. I know it's a comfort zone with the day care that you know of right now but try to keep your options open.

2SetsOfTwins4Me said...

If i didn't have so many darn kids (lol) i would of loved to watch him.
Best of luck and i hope everything goes good when he does go.

Erica said...

Hey, I just saw your comment about the cereal....quick question. Do you put the cereal in his bottle? 5 tbsp? If so, isn't it really thick? What kind of bottles/nipples do you use?

Newlywed Next Door said...

Sorry that you're in jam honey!

I don't have babies but when I was little my Mom had a nanny come to our house to watch me when she was at work. I loved my nanny so much! She was like a second grandma to me!

Jessi said...

I think you should do what's best for you. If that includes daycare then so be it. You know them and trust them so I do not see the harm (other than it's expensive). If you don't really have many choices it seems like the best option.

Just beware of illness in daycare. I know a lot of kids get sick in daycare (you can always figure something else out if that is the case).

I don't see anything wrong with it. I know you would rather stay home but knowing it's not an option you just have to do what is best for you and Cooper. I am sure he will do wonderful in daycare.

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law. Very frightening. I'm glad he is okay!

Lizzy. said...

i will move to ok and take care of him! seriously....

The Lutz Family said...

I have been blessed with the opportuity to work from home with Ryder, but completely understand that some moms just do not have this option. I do believe that the social interaction daycare can give to a child is very important. I get nervous Ryder isn't around other children enough and actually just joined a gym so I could get a workout and so he could get an hour+ with some kids his age each day in the daycare there.

Don't beat yourself up too much over this situation. No one wants to work, but unfortuntely it is how the bills get paid. Look around and I believe you'll find a connection somewhere that will fit your needs perfectly.

By the way.... your father-in-law will be in our prayers for a safe recovery

kim_brough said...

I don't have kids of my own, but I have 2 nephews who went to daycare at 8 weeks. They've been to 2 (my sister moved) and both have been church daycares. The kids love it, and so do my sis and her hubby. The women there dote on them and the 4 year old asks to go on Saturdays! Do any of the churches around you have daycares? I know you want to find a good place for them so you can THINK about Cooper while you're at work, not WORRY about Cooper while you're at work. Good luck!

jenn said...

im glad you asked this question....i will have the same problem when i go back to work....decisions decisions....

The Cretens said...

I don't think you should be feeling insecure at all about putting baby in daycare. My husband is a teacher (and so am I) so I have no option but to work (since we all know what kind of salaries teachers make!). It was sad not being able to stay home, but we found a home daycare and our son loves it. In fact, I think he gets bored when his is with us on the weekends b/c there is no little kids to watch! It fell right in the middle of the price ranges of daycares, more expensive than some, but not as expensive as some of the "super fancy" daycare centers. Good luck!

Brianne said...

Have you looked into a home daycare situation? They are usually pretty reasonable and might be an option for you.

Good luck with your decision.

Katie @ Modern-Day Family said...

Hey! Molly has been in daycare, although the place we send her insists it be called school ;), since she was around 3 months old.

I didn't really have too many reservations about it because we found a place that we LOVE. (Of course family would've been my first choice but we don't have any family in the area) It's ridiculously expensive, it's actually kind've embarassing how much we pay, but I looked around a lot and we decided that it was worth it. We have had a great experience, the ONLY complaint I have is that she's been sick a lot with ear infections and coughs. BUT I also know kids who stay home with a parent who have gone through the whole ear infections and getting tubes etc.

I know it is really hard for a lot of moms to decide but you will make the right decision! Go with your gut!

If you want to talk more about it feel free to email me! kwill42@gmail.com

Carol said...

Here's a post from someone old enough to be a grandmother. My two sons who both went to daycare which was considered AWFUL back 27 and 30 years ago both were National Merit Finalists, both went to Ivy League schools, and are wonderful, awesome guys. So, don't let guilt get the best of you because children tend to thrive in good environments whether it be at home or in a good childcare setting.

Mandy said...

Not the best help in the world as I stay at home with the girls and work 2 evenings a week. If it's not possible for you to change your schedule and your Aunt can't pick up the extra days than daycare is the totally logical option. It doesn't have to be a permanent answer, just till Nana's back in business! I know that when I was younger my mother got a refund for the days we weren't at daycare. Maybe they'll cut you a deal because you're not a full time student? Also in my state (MD) you can apply for childcare vouchers but they are usually only for low income families.

I'm assuming there is no way you could charm your boss into letting you bring Coop to work till Nana is able to watch him again? Pulling the family card and reminding him how adorable your son is and what a great worker you are?? Anything is worth a try!

Kristi said...

I understand being overprotective of your little one. I have issues with leaving my little to the point I only leave her with my parents if shes asleep. Crazy I know! I babysit for a little boy and he has been coming here since he was about 4 months old. It gives my little girl interaction with another kid as well for him. I wish sometimes I could take her somewhere just a couple days a week because she loves others kids. My mom stayed home with me and I was a very clingy kid. I say all the time I dont want my kid to be that way. So I think it would be good for him to be around others. I am still getting the courage to leave at 21 months! Good luck! I hate you have to try and figure somethign else out!

Unknown said...

I am sorry that you are having to go through this struggle; I did it & I hated it. Brayden came to work with me until he was 4 months old; it became too much of a struggle & too stressful for me to continue this way & I have to tell you Brayden, hubbs & I all LOVE his school. He has grown so much since being there & his interaction with the other kids is priceless!! He goes to the Goddard School & they are wonderful, not just with Brayden but with us too....they seem to really understand that it is really hard on me to leave him & do things like send pictures of him & stuff to me daily so I know that he is alright!!

I would love to be home with my little man but it is not in the cards right now for us.........it will be soon but for now I think that we have made the right choice with the right school!!

Good Luck to you with your decision!!

The Denoves said...

Hey Melissa,

I am so sorry to hear about your father in law. I am not in your position yet, but most likely will be soon(hopefully). This is such a hard decision and cannot imagine how you feel. I will pray that God gives you wisdom on what to do and provides a great opportunity.

In Him,
Heather

Emily said...

I wish I had some advice for you. :( I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision and so quickly too. I'm sure you'll make the right one. You love your son to pieces and will do the best for him! Try not to stress too much. I'll be praying for you.

Jessica said...

I would totally be in the same situation as you are now if anything happened to one of my parents (hope he's ok, by the way) bc my mom watches my son during the day when I work (2-3 days/wk). Anyway, I have definitely had to think about what I would do in that situation. Since your aunt keeps him a couple days, have you looked into any Mother's Day Out at any churches around? Sometimes they fall on different days & you can catch them for the days you need. I'm not sure about your area, but here it's not nearly as expensive as daycare. Just a thought. I know it's a tough decision. Good luck girl! I'm sure he'll do just fine with whatever you end up doing.

Lori said...

I totally agree with your "stay at home mom" opinion, some people would love to be a SAHM but can't. I think you are handling motherhood very well! Can't wait to hear about your decision, I don't have too much advice on this, sorry.

Carrie said...

Hi there. Just wanted to give you my 2 cents about your current situation :) My degree is in Early Childhood Education and before I had kids I worked at a day care for 7 years. Day cares are very closely monitored by the state and have to follow very strict rules. In home day cares also have to follow the same state mandated rules, however, since there are so many of them a lot of them are not licensed. Or if they are licensed they often get overlooked due to the high number of them. All that to say: if you are between an in home day care or a day care center, I would choose a day care center.

One more thing I wanted to add is this, children need consistency. It is better for Cooper to go to the same place everyday than to be shuffled back and forth to different friends/families houses.

Yes, it is expensive...but you can claim it on your taxes :) You are doing what is best for you and your family and I applaud you. You are a good mom and you want what is best for Cooper. Keep us posted on what you decide!