Friday, January 20, 2012

Pinterest saving/costing me all sorts of money!

Pinterest. What a wonderful place I have become obsessed with for a while now. I have established more than 2-3 years worth of home improvement, renovation, upgrading, art projects, ect....
Don't get me wrong, I get great recipes, and fashion ideas and all sorts of hair styles and different fun things I can do also.

This sounds great doesn't it. All these awesome DIY projects that I can do for so much less. So many great ideas. The only problem is that I'm obsessed and I can't ever find the time or the money to do them all. There is way to much in my "To do to the house" list.
We live in a smaller home. Its our first house and we have lived here for nearly 8-1/2 years now. We don't intend on living in this house past another 2 years. We have already ripped up all the carpet and put down hard woods through the entire house. We repainted each and every wall, cleaned and repainted cabinets and have decorated throughout. Thus completely transforming the little place. However its not what I want it to be. I have all these things I want to do. So much that I see I can still fix up and change. So many art projects I could conjure up to add a little more character and pizazz.
One of the humongous ginormous things I'm wanting to do so badly it hurts is....... Redo the entire kitchen. Yes CRAZY! I know.
Let me set one thing straight though. The floor has nice tile we wouldn't be changing. The appliances are all updated and stainless and nice. The only (ha only) things I'm referring to changing is this list of things.
Sand and strip each cabinet and drawer and repaint white.
Get new counter tops (pricey considering we have quite a bit of counter space).
repaint the nook and kitchen
Add a new back splash in the kitchen
Add a window seat with cushions and pillows and get a new kitchen table
Add curtains and a rug to the nook
Redecorate all walls and counter tops.

Wow! Come on I know your all thinking it and sighing with the rush of way to much to do. Not to mention its all worth nothing but my happiness for about one to two years.
We have upgraded this house to the point that any additional upgrades are for us and we will never get our money back. We have already put to much into it.
I feel like I will be wasting money I could be putting back for a roomier newer home. That's what we should be doing with any extra money we have. But I live here. This is our house for I would say at least two more years. That's not that long right. WRONG. It feels like a while to me. Cooper will be nearly 5 years old, Blake nearly 3. We will hopefully be working on number 3. That's a ways off in my mind. That's a while to not do these things that I can't kick from my mind. I've been thinking about this for years now and each year I talk myself out of it. Which is probably best. I know I can do just some of the projects. The less pricey ones. But I'm sort of an all or nothing kind of girl. I want to do the full vision and not just half. I know that sounds so silly.

Pinterest is great. I love it, but at the same time its only giving me even more creativity than I had before. I've always been a creative person. But when given even more ideas and things I can tweak and make my own. I've gone into creative overload and nothing is good enough unless its redone and made exactly what I'm now visualizing.
I have to find a way to control the urge to constantly have new inexpensive and expensive pinterest projects.

And that's my confession for the week. I'M A PINTERAHOLIC! HELP!

8 comments:

gardengirl081608 said...

Your post is so true. Like you, I am also a creative person, Pinterst is nothing but fuel to the fire. I just can't stop looking though!

Erica said...

Pinterest does the same for me! Oh my gosh. Every time I find a great project I just have to go and do it right then. And all the wonderful, yet very pricey things I want to do to our home! We are in the same boat though, I doubt we'll be in our home for more than another 2 years.

Jody said...

I am the exact same way!! I am obsessed with pinterest and also I find cute little projects to do, but I also have a ton of "house improvements" I want to do. We are planning on putting our house on the market next summer and hopefully moving/building and I have to talk myself out of doing bigger projects.. as in re-doing OUR kitchen as well. Good luck! :)

Nichole said...

I am completely with you! There is so much that I want to do, but so little time!! :o) I can understand why you want to change the kitchen, but I can see why you would want to wait too! Maybe you can do a few small things and call it good. Compromise. :o)

Cadie said...

I basically had the same problem! The only thing that cured me was to take a break from pinterest. sad, I know. If it helps any, home depot and lowes both have oops paint you can look for. It's a whole gallon for $5. They usually have it near the paint section or in the clearance isle. It's kinda a hit or miss with the colors. I always check whenever I'm there and sometimes there are really nice colors and sometimes there are colors there that make you gag. Hope this helps a tiny bit. Maybe instead of a whole kitchen, redo a piece of furniture and this might give you a fix for a couple weeks! :) Good luck!!

Stephanie said...

LOL Oh I too have a problem! It is amazing how you can inspiration for every single room in the house on that addictive site!

Tiffany said...

Heheehehe. I am SO addicted to Pinterest. I am already planning my 5 month olds 1st Birthday. HAHAHAA!

Unknown said...

I LOVE pinterest too! What's your name on there so I can follow you!? :)

-Katie
Building a House of Love